Lord Shiva temple stands in the centre of Chaurasi temple and is main temple in Chaurasi temple complex. Lord Shiva temple enshrines a huge Shiva linga installed in 7th Century A.D. The Shiva linga is a symbol of characteristic mark of lord Shiva and is worshiped as a symbol all across India.
In reality Shiva linga is identical with the lord Shiva the almighty which has been described as creator, protector and destroyer of entire universe. While creating this universe lord almighty assumes the form of Brahma, while protecting it assumes form of lord Vishnu and while destroying the form of Rudra, the lord Shiva.
The temple enshrining Shiva linga is resting on a huge square plinth which was rebuilt by Raja Sahila Varman during first half of tenth century A.D. This monumental temple with high beehive shikhara bearing no sculptures on the outer surface is of middle Pratihara type. It is similar to the early temples of Chamba town and like them has been built on a model of Sahila Varman’s Lakhshami Narayana temple in Chamba town. The repairs of the lord shiva temple were carried out by Raja Udai Singh who ruled Chamba state from 1690 to 1720 A.D. Lord Shiva is most worshipped god in India.