Chaurasi Temple

Chaurasi Temple Bharmour

Bharmour-Chaurasi-templesChaurasi Temple complex is located in the center of Bharmour town and it holds immense religious importance because of temples built around 1400 years ago. Life of people in Bharmour centres around the temple complex-Chaurasi, named so because of 84 shrines built in the periphery of Chaurasi Temple. Chaurasi is hindi word for number eighty four. The beautiful shikhara style temple of Manimahesh occupies the center of the complex. It is believed that when 84 Siddhas, who had come from kurukshetra, were passing through Bharmour to visit Manimahesh, they fell in love with the calmness of Bharmour and reconciled to meditate here. Chaurasi Temple Complex was built approximately in 7th century, although repairs of many temples have been carried out in later period. 

There is another legend associated with Chaurasi temple complex. It is believed that shortly after Sahil Varman’s accession of Brahampura (ancient name of Bharmour), 84 yogis visited this place. They were greatly pleased with the King’s hospitality. As King had no heir, Yogis promised him ten sons. They were requested by the King to stay back in Brahampura till the prediction of Yogis was fulfilled. In due course of time the king was blessed with ten sons and a daughter. Daughter was named Champavati and because of liking of Champavati new capital Chamba was established. It is believed that Chaurasi temple complex in Bharmour was built to honour these 84 Yogis and named Chaurasi after them. There are 84 big and small temples in Chaurasi temple complex. Chaurasi is a spacious level ground in center of Bharmour where the galaxy of temples mostly in the form of Shivlingas exists. The Chaurasi Temple Complex offers a delightful, clean and a scenic view.

 

 

You are here: Home Arrow Bharmour Arrow Chaurasi Temple Arrow Chaurasi Temple Bharmour